Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why your Life Depends on Knowing Scripture!

While the Holy Bible is God's Word to us it is also your shield (your bullet proof vest so to say). I ask you this, "Isn't it easier to accomplish something when you have all the right tools?" Of course it is! Who would go into battle without dressing for it? Only a Fool would I proclaim. If you are not a fool, I suggest if you don't have a bible, you find yourself a copy of The Holy Bible you like. If you are not aware, Goodwill will allow you to have one Holy Bible for Free!

Have you ever read the story regarding Jesus in the desert when the Devil came to tempt him? If not, I invite you to take a trip in time with me . . . If you have your Holy Bible on Hand I encourage you to open to Luke, Chapter 4

This is how my New Living Translation 2nd Addition reads:

Jesus was about thirty years old when he began his public ministry. Prior to him beginning his ministry, he was baptized like many others by John the Baptist. That happened in the Jordan River. As he was praying, the heavens opened and the Holy Spirit Descended on him like a dove. A voice from heaven said, "You are my beloved son and you bring me great joy." Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness where he was tempted by the devil for forty days! Jesus ate nothing all that time and became very hungry.

Then the devil said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become a loaf of bread."
Jesus replied, "NO! The Scriptures say, 'People do not live by bread alone.'*"

Then the devil took him up and revealed to him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. "I will give you the Glory of These Kingdoms and Authority over them," Because they are Mine to Give to anyone I please. I will give it all to you if you will worship me."

Jesus replied, "The Scriptures say, 'You Must worship the Lord Your God and serve ONLY him.'**"

Then the devil took him to Jerusalem, to the highest point of the Temple, and said, "If you are the Son of God jump off! For the scriptures say, "He will order his Angels to protect and guard you. They will hold you up with their hands so you won't even hurt your foot on a stone.'***"

Jesus responded, "The Scriptures also say, 'You must not test the Lord your God.'****"
After this the devil left him until the next opportunity came.

Things that I took from this:

1. The devil knows Scripture . . . he can even quote it!

2. Jesus used Scripture to Defeat the Devil!

3. The Devil made mention that He was the one in charge of 'the Glory of These Kingdoms'

If Jesus used Scripture on the devil to defeat him what makes you think you can defend yourself without it? The short and simple answer is, "You can't!" Reading the word is a VITAL part of your armor! Without it you might as well waltz into battle without so much as a shirt!

Jesus did not use long speeches against the devil. Short and sweet Scripture alone did the trick. Funny enough the devil quotes a longer Scripture than Jesus did trying to trick Jesus!

Also, most interesting to me is the fact that in this passage the Devil admits that he has the 'Glory of These Kingdoms AND Authority over them'. To me he slipped there . . . what he basically did in this passage is take credit for things that happen here on earth. I say to you the Devil has Authority over these Kingdoms (those our ancestors lived through and the one we are living through today. It is not until Jesus returns that God is in charge of all that goes on in this world. God has the power to heal your heart. Your flesh . . . that's simply not the same.  The devil is in charge of that! Next time I suggest you give evil the credit where evil things are concerned! I look forward to the end of the world as we know it. We are so far from where we started. I don't know about you but I'd love to live in the Garden of Eden!

The Reference to the Quotes from Scripture

 *  Jesus is referencing Deuteronomy. This Book was written by Moses! I'm going to start in Chapter 8 verse 2 as it is written in the Holy Bible I have credited above and I will end at Chapter 8 verse 6: Remember how the Lord your God led you through the wilderness for these 40 years, humbling you, testing you to prove your character and to find out whether or not you would obey his commands. Yes, he humbled you by letting you go hungry and then feeding you with manna, a food previously unknown to you and your ancestors. He did it to teach you that people do not live on bread alone; rather, we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. For all these forty years your clothes didn't wear out, and your feet didn't blister or swell. Think about it: Just as a parent disciplines a child, the Lord your God disciplines you for your own good. So obey the commands of the Lord your God by walking in his ways and fearing him.'

**  Again Jesus is referencing Deuteronomy written by Moses: I am going to start in Chapter 6 verse 13: 'You must fear the Lord your God and serve him. When you take an oath, you must use only his name.'
Meaning (pardon the pun) No way in HELL are you supposed to worship FALSE idols! That would include the devil, actors, musical stars, athletes . . . they are meant to take your attention! Focusing on these false idols is not a wise investment of your time.

*** The book of Psalms Chapter / Song / Poem 91 is where the devil went to for his quote from Scripture. In it's entirety, It reads like this from my copy: 'Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God and I trust Him. For He will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night nor the arrow that flies in the day. Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness nor the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you these evils will not touch you. Just open your eyes and see how the wicked are punished. If you make the Lord your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your home. For he will order his angels to protect you where ever you go. They will hold you up with their hands so you won't even hurt your foot on a stone. You will trample upon lions and cobras; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet! The Lord says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer: I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation."

  I find it interesting that the Devil chose a Psalm that was written by a complete unknown author. According to Jewish tradition, David wrote 73 of the Psalms, Asaph wrote twelve, the sons of Korah wrote nine of them; King Solomon wrote two; Heman (with the sons of Korah), Ethan and Moses each wrote one, and fifty-one Psalms are Anonymous!

****Again Jesus goes right back to Deuteronomy and quotes from Chapter 6 verse 16: 'You must not test the Lord your God as you did when you complained at Massah.'

If you notice the devil quoted word for word the Scripture . . . to him they are only word.s Until you say them with conviction of the heart they contain no power against him. This is why you must "test the spirits" to see if they are good or evil. . . even the evil can cloak themselves by using the word. Using and believing are TWO very different things. It is YOUR FAITH in the WORD that is the source of the POWER of God. He has given you all you need . . . he is waiting to see if you are his humble servant. That my friend is your choice. That is your FREE WILL.

I honestly had no idea what I was going to write today. I don't even quite know how all of this transpired I just know that I knew it was what I was supposed to share. If I haven't mentioned it before I am just learning my way around the Holy Bible and it amazes me no matter where I decide to read. My heart races and I am amazed at how this all comes to life. I have read all my life. This by far is the most intriguing inspirational awe inspiring Book I have EVER picked up! I hope you are encouraged to pick up a copy if you don't have one and dive in. It is not important which translation you grab but make sure you open a few and read through them . . . if it is hard for you to follow pick another version. What is the point of having a book on hand that doesn't come to life when you open it?

I pray that you stumble upon the right path and then follow it recognizing that while it may be narrow it is more peaceful. The fruits of the spirit can be found along the skinniest of roads . . . want some real nutrition, follow me down this narrow path.


Wendy, Mom of Many




Copyright © 2013 [ Wendy L Glidden ] All Rights Reserved.








2 comments:

photographybynicolen said...

wow, this posting has more power than the rest of the postings. The rest do have Holy Spirit Power, but this one has OOOOOODLES, or maybe just a different facet........... Don't know, but He is honored and pleased as well with this..

Wendy Glidden said...

I love that He is honored and pleased! That makes me smile. This was inspired by the Holy Spirit. I was amazed as I was led through the Scriptures. I just reread this. Looks like I need to go back and do some paragraph spaces lol. I remember fighting to stay awake during this blog. The evil one has attempted to keep me from hitting the publish button several times.