Monday, August 4, 2014

Can the Bible be Trusted as the Word of God?


Reviewing the Evidence Found Regarding the Manuscripts

To Verify the Validity and Purpose of the Scriptures

Wendy Glidden

Introduction to the Bible: Block 2

Session I

Colorado Christian University


I decided to select Manuscripts as my evidence because
studying God’s word has helped me in my daily defense. We all live in a fallen
world and whether we choose to recognize it or not, we are in the midst of a
Spiritual War. I have found that having God’s word fresh in my mind helps me
recognize when I have been pulled into battle. By preparing myself first thing
each day through reading God’s word, I am able to stand firm in my faith and
not faint when trouble comes looking for me. Instead, I lean on God’s word, the
sword of the Spirit, and I wield it in my defense.

Ephesians 6:17 : Take the helmet of salvation and the
sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

I found it interesting that the first video recorded
by Dr. Yohn was on the topic of faith and how for it to be of sustenance, it
must be based on evidence. It is hard for an honest person to deny that the
Bible truly is a collection of 66 books that hold one basic concept built
around one basic theme. Again and again, as Dr. Yohn mentioned in his You Tube
video, it is a story of redemption.

Learning about the validity and history of the
manuscripts is a large part of why I enrolled in this course. I am new to
studying the Bible and  I have quickly
recognized the importance of knowing both the history of the time during which each
book was written as well as the background of each author.

Being a writer myself, I recognized the styles of
writing in the various books that Dr Yohn highlighted in the fist video:

1.     Biography

2.     Prophecy

3.     Romance

4.     Song

5.     History

6.     Satire

7.     Parable

However, I did not know there were 40 authors who
wrote these 66 books over a 1500 period of time! I also learned that all of the
manuscripts were written in 3 main languages: Hebrew, Arabic, and Greek.
Another fact I found intriguing was the short span of time between copies of
both the Old and New Testaments as well as their accuracy levels. When you
couple that with the fact that the few words in question do nothing to change
the message, I am elated that I am left with no doubt regarding both the
validity and the purpose of scripture.

Regarding the accuracy of the Bible, I am quoting Sir
Frederic G Keyon, the director and principal librarian of the British museum who
writes, “In no other case is the interval of time between the composition of
the book and the date of the earliest manuscripts so short as that of the New
Testament.”

When it comes to understanding that truth as a
follower of Christ, I love being that much more confident in the fact that the
Bible alone is indeed the Holy Word of God. It warmed my heart to read what
Ravi Zecharias had to say regarding the New Testament, “In real terms, the
New Testament is easily the best attested ancient writing in terms of the sheer
number of documents, the time span between the events and the document and the
variety of documents available to sustain or contradict it. There is nothing in
ancient manuscript evidence to match such textual availability and integrity.”

After reviewing all of this evidence, my faith in the
Bible being God’s word has only been strengthened.

References

Josh McDowell, 1986, The New Evidence that Demands a
Verdict, Nelsonword          Publishing
Group, p.35



Dr Yohn, You tube videos, Men of the Word L1.1 &
Men of the Word L1.2



Ravi Zecharias, 2004, Can Men Live Without God?,U.S.,
Thomas Nelson Publishing,   p.162


No comments: