Monday, August 4, 2014

King David ~ Quite the Character!


King David is my all time favorite person from the Old
Testament. We read in 1 Samuel 16:1 that David resides in Bethlehem, the very
town in which Jesus enters the scene as a new born baby!

1 Samuel 16:1: The LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you
mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as King over Israel? Fill your horn
with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have
chosen one of his sons to be king.”

Very quickly in David’s life, he is called into service
under King Saul. First as the boy who played the lyre for Saul when he was
tormented by an evil spirit, and then as the courageous young man who defeated
Goliath, a champion from Gath who came out of the Philistine camp. While David
was short in size and young in age, he was full of confidence in both God’s
Plan and Protection.

1 Samuel 17:37 “The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the
lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.

David continued to serve under Saul in his armies and was
continually successful in the missions he was sent on and Saul gave him a high
rank in the army. Over time, Saul became jealous of David.

1 Samuel 8:8: Saul was very angry; this refrain displeased
him greatly. “They have credited David with tens of thousands,” he thought,
“but me with only thousands. What more can he get but the kingdom?

Soon, Saul’s jealousy caused him to attempt to kill David.
The attitude that David showed in return to Saul’s anger is a foreshadowing of
what Christ would teach upon on the sermon of the mount when it comes to how to
treat your enemies.

David reveals great character by allowing Saul to live even
though Saul was attempting to murder David. In 1 Samuel 24, we read how David
responds to Saul’s jealousy and bitterness that had grown so large; he was
hunting David with the intention of killing him. When Saul is delivered into
David’s hand, David decides to spare Saul’s life.

In 1 Samuel 24: 12-13, we read that David decided to let the
LORD be the judge between them. He quotes an old saying ‘From evildoers come
evil deeds’ and this is why he refuses to lay a hand on Saul. He stays true to
his promise as we read in 1 Samuel 26 when he again has the opportunity to kill
Saul. His faith in the Lord protecting him and dealing with others is so great,
we read this:

1 Samuel 26: 9-11: But David said to Abishai, “Don’t destroy
him! Who can lay a hand on the LORD’s anointed and be guiltless? As surely as
the LORD lives,” he said, “the LORD himself will strike him, or his time will
come and he will die, or he will go into battle and perish. But the LORD forbid
that I should lay a hand on the LORD’s anointed. Now get the spear and water
jug that are near his head, and let’s go.”

Saul does end up dieing in battle. After this event, all the
tribes of Israel came to David at Hebron and reminded him that the LORD had
said David would shepherd his people and become their ruler. David was only 30
years old when he became king and he ruled for 40 years before passing the
throne on to Solomon.

During his reign, the Lord caused the united kingdom to
prosper, to defeat its enemies, and in fulfillment of his promise, to extend
its borders from Egypt to the Euphrates.

Genesis 15:18: On that day the LORD made a covenant with
Abram and said, “To your descendants I give this land, from the Wadi of Egypt
to the great river, the Euphrates.

It is later made known through the prophets that a descendant
of David will perfectly fulfill the role of the theocratic king. ( NIV Study
Bible, 2011 edition, 2 Samuel introduction, p.457)

Skeptics of the Bible claimed that King David was a
fictional character because there was no archeological evidence to prove
otherwise; that all changed in 1993 at the site of Tel Dan in northern Israel during
an excavation directed by Israeli archeologist Avraham Biran.

What they discovered was a stone tablet with an inscription
on it commemorating the victory of an Aramean king over his two southern
neighbors: the “king of Israel” and the “king of the House of David” (Based on
“Issue 200: Ten Top Discoveries,” Biblical Archeology Review,
July/August September/October 2009.)

I also chose to write my character sketch on King David
because I love his loyalty to and love for the Lord. While there are obvious
moments where he stumbles, David remains faithful in his devotion to the Lord.
Even when his baby son passes away, he does not turn from the Lord in anger.
Instead, after he plead with God in every way possible and his son still
passed, he accepted the choice of the Lord and informed his servants his son
would not join him here but rather he would see him on the other side.

In my opinion, God uses the story of David to reveal both
how blessed and protected one is when they are faithful to the Lord as well as
truths into the resurrection. I see this playing out in David’s confidence that
he would see his son again.

2 Samuel 12: 22-23: He answered, “While the child was still
alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The LORD may be gracious to me
and let the child live.’ But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting?
Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

I love that the man that is referred to as a man after God’s
heart is the direct lineage that Christ comes from. I truly believe it is no
coincidence that both of their stories begin in the tiny town of Bethlehem!

I also find it interesting that not only are both of these
men from Bethlehem, they are both referred to as shepherds. I think that
David’s protection of his sheep are a direct link to the protection we receive
from the Lord himself.

References

Issue 200: Ten Top Discoveries,” Biblical Archeology
Review
, July/August      September/October
2009

NIV Study Bible, 2011, Zondervon publishing, p. 457

This was my latest paper I did while attending College at Colorado Christian University. God was the one that pointed me back to school. One could say life started getting pretty wild the second I got down on my knees and told God I was over it, He could have his will where my life was concerned. I told him I was at the end of my own strength and if he was indeed insisting on blessing me with another child, he was going to have to step in and help. He called me by name! Told me to get off of my knees! All of this is in my latest book 'You are Worthy Too: Angels, Answers, Signs and Wonders'

you are cordially invited to read one of the many books that God put on my heart to write. Just go to http://www.amazon.com/author/wendyglidden and grab your copy today! I am selling them for only $4.99 in e-book format and only $9.99 in print! This particular book will build your faith in ways you never thought of! Get yours today and start a new chapter in your life!

Wendy Glidden, walks with God, Mom of Many

No comments: