Friday, March 27, 2015

Turmoil Tornados

I started this week out in a panic. The children are off on spring break I signed up for two more college classes that both began this Monday! By day one I was overwhelmed by all of the reading and assignments that were looming ahead. On top of that, we moved to the other side of the RV park and it turns out that the WIFI doesn’t work over here yet. Talk about making life a little harder when it comes to online classes, not to mention blogging and marketing on Social Media!

I am grateful that my classes are focused on the Word of God so that in the midst of my personal panic, I have to fill my mind with the LORD’s words! As the week progressed, my anxiety levels decreased. It is funny what happens as you renew your mind with life breathing words. Yesterday I even managed to stay ahead of the game concerning school and have now completed every assignment with the exception of one paper that is due on Sunday and here I sit today calm as a cucumber sharing a post!

I had a fellow student ask me how on earth I manage to get everything done that needs to be done in a day. I still need to go back and answer her on that one. When I read it, I was honestly in the midst of my panic and thinking to myself, “Get everything done?!?” That is truly humorous because there is never a day that goes by that I manage to check off every single item on my to do list!

The truth of the matter is, when it comes to making it through each day, I have a checklist of must do’s, need to do’s, and want to do’s. I also apply self discipline telling myself each day that I can play once all my work is done. Some days I don’t play at all!

I will be honest in saying that even though I have a plan in place, I still find myself swimming in the midst of anxiety at various moments; especially as the end of the day approaches while tasks on my must do list are still looming ahead!

I have found when it comes to chaos, anxiety, fear, panic, waves of overwhelmingness, it is God’s promises that calm my heart and settle me down. It has taken me years to learn that I am truly not in control of much! The rest I must give to God. So let me share what I tell my friends when they are in the midst of their own individual “Turmoil Tornado”.

(1) I ask them if they know what Jesus had to say when it came to the subject of worry?

I usually get a blank stare if this is the first time we have talked about it. I then smile and say something like, ‘He actually asked what one of us could do something as simple (SIMPLE!) as adding an hour to our own lives! Like adding an hour to your life is simple! He basically asked us why do we worry over anything when our own limitations to perform the tiniest of miracles are so blatantly obvious.

“And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span? If then you cannot do even a very little thing, why do you worry about other matters?” ~ Luke 12:25-26 (NASB)

I also go on to share with them that God’s mercy and grace are sufficient each day. I remind them that we need to live in the here and now not in yesterday or tomorrow. That is a trick of the evil one to keep us tied up in our inner turmoil; shaming us with the guilt of yesterday and worrying us about the events of tomorrow. God’s word advises us to live each day accordingly.

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~ Matthew 6:34 (NASB)

Even with me being a student of the Word, even with me seeking His input daily, I find myself in various spiritual battles. Some so intense I often pull out a devotional or turn up the music on K-Love. As revealed in a chapter out of my latest book, sometimes I even use chocolate as part of my defense!

I don’t think one of us out there has the perfect life full of perfect days. We all face various trials and tribulations. It is the weaponry that we use that differentiates how the battle ends! If you don’t know all the armor God has provided you with, I invite you to read past posts of mine regarding the subject. I will leave a couple of links at the end of this post for you to check out!

Hopefully this has helped someone somewhere with their own anxiety and worry. If you are not a student of the Word, I highly suggest you open up the book of John and learn about Christ. It is my prayer that your eyes are opened to the Truth, The Way and the Life in such a way that you dive fully into the River of Living Water and find yourself refreshed each and every day! In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen!

Wendy, Mom of Many, walks with God

http://youareworthytoo.blogspot.com/2013/10/are-you-dressed-for-daily-battle.html

http://youareworthytoo.blogspot.com/2013/07/take-up-shield-of-faith.html

May you find yourself better dressed for battle by reading these two posts. May you find yourself blessed in sharing them with others in need of armor!

Your sister in Christ, Wendy


© Wendy Glidden 2015

No comments: