Wednesday, April 5, 2017

There is Always a Silver Lining

Most of us have heard the saying, 'find the silver lining'. It is one of the better worldly pieces of advice, but you don't have to look far to find this very advice written a little differently in God's word. A great example is found in Philippians 4:8.


The yuck in life is always noticeable. We have no trouble seeing it. Where our trouble lies is seeing beyond it.

A funny thing happens in life when you voluntarily decide to change your focus from the yuck to searching for the good; the bad doesn't seem quite as bad. You are able to reason that this too is just a moment.

For instance, yesterday was my due date for delivering this baby boy. It came and went without the arrival. Today I went to the doctor and discovered that I am not any closer to going into labor than I was last week. Now I could elect to focus on how miserable I feel. My back, my legs, my hips, my bones in general all hurt. As if that were not enough, I am having serious trouble getting a good night sleep as I have to go to the bathroom a million times a night. This line of thinking will only cause me to become distraught over my discomfort. Instead, I must find the silver lining in this situation. My silver lining in this situation is that I have another week to finalize all the things on my to do list that have yet to be finished.

That may not seem like a big deal but when you are already juggling a full load, it is!

I am certain that no matter what you are facing today that if you just concentrate on the things in your life that are good and pure and lovely, your attitude towards your life situation will brighten.

A key to ensuring that this change in attitude sticks would be seeking out what God's will is in your life. Seeking Him is the beginning of change. The last couple of presidential elections have been based on slogans revolving around change. The world doesn't ever really change, it goes through cycles, but with the help of the LORD, humanity can and does change. There is only one way for this change to take place permanently and that is to confess to God that you are a sinner, ask for forgiveness once and for all, accepting Christ as your LORD and Savior. When you do this, your heart of stone is replaced with a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)

Are you ready to live an abundant life? Are you ready to wake up every day looking forward to what lies ahead? Then begin seeking Him with all your heart!

Today I pray that you desire to live abundantly; that you search out the truths found in the word for yourself. I pray that your eyes are opened and that you grow in wisdom. In Jesus name I pray.
Amen.

Wendy, walks with God, mother of many

© Wendy Glidden 2017

No comments: