Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Have You Heard of the Thief?

Another day has come and gone. I am thrilled to say that I did get my full workout in again. It has taken 12  days for me to build up enough endurance to do the full workout. Honestly, completing it two days in a row makes me feel really good about myself. I am finally at the point where I need to note my measurements. It is going to be painful but often when we take an inventory of where we are at in life, pain is part of the growing, or in this case, shrinking process. It is so important to recognize victories because they are part of what fuels us to keep going. One thing I learned long ago when it comes to losing weight is to take that initial weight ~ another painful part of documenting weight loss, but after the initial documentation, avoid the scale at all costs for at least 30 days from the first time you record your weight. There are a couple of reasons that I make this suggestion, first and foremost is if you are exercising, you are going to be adding muscle and in turn, adding weight. The last thing you need to see in the midst of trying to shrink is the scale to stay in place or worse climb up a pound or two. The other reason is because your weight fluctuates throughout the day, the scale is not your friend, often it is the main cause for people giving up. This is where main measurements come into play. When you take your initial measurements and then retake them a week later, you are going to see some kind of movement in the direction you are after, especially if you are working your core. Throughout my life, I have used many digital workout videos, but nothing ever gave me the results that Taebo has. Billy Blanks has several videos on YouTube, but it is this particular one that will get you results like nothing you have ever seen. You might be like me and need to take several days to build up endurance to be able to make it through. Try to just go back to marching in place or butterflies if you get to a point where you can't do anymore of the reps. I promise you will get there. This video has a ton of positive messages throughout it as well so listen to his advice.

With it being October, the month of Halloween, I thought it might be apropos to touch on a subject that many in the world either don't buy into or due to their lack of knowledge regarding God simply are unaware of. It is the subject of spiritual warfare. I find it crazy that people get into watching shows that revolve around vampires, zombies, demons and witches, yet when it comes to the subject of Satan and his many minions, eyes begin to roll.

It would be great if Satan showed up looking as he does in the cartoons; red suit, tail, pointy ears and a pitchfork in hand. It would be a no brainer to be on the defense. Rather though, Satan works through family, friends, strangers and even ourselves. While he is not omnipresent like God, he has a network of fellow demons who all have one desire, our end.

Believe it or not, in life, when we are down and depressed, losing the battle whether it is weight loss or life's relationships, you will discover that he is at the root of all the negatives in your life. The cool thing is, there is another person who is at the opposite spectrum who longs for you to not just live life, surviving through the storms, he longs for you to live abundantly and rest during the battle. That person is Jesus. We find this truth in the following passage:

10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and [a]have it abundantly. (John 10:10, NASB)

The thief is Satan and all his minions. They don't want you to achieve your goals. They don't want you to be successful in your life's purpose. They want you caught up in the world, fretting and worrying about both the past and the present, as well as every mistake or wrong you have done. They want you to doubt yourself and your worth so that you are unable to help others find themselves. It is only when our own chains are broken, that we begin to see just how enslaved we were by the enemy. When this realization dawns on you, evangelism becomes something you can't help but be a part of. 

I personally was enslaved for almost 3 full decades. Throughout my story, I unveil how by not knowing that I was in a spiritual battle allowed Satan to fool me time and time again. It is almost unfair the advantage he has. In Ephesians, much emphasis is placed on dressing daily in our full suit of armor. Even when fully dressed, Satan attacks. You have to admire his bravado, for he even came after Jesus in the desert. Not only did he attempt to end Jesus' purpose, he used Scripture as part of his argument. In my mind that takes some balls. It is also interesting to note that Jesus defeated Satan in the desert by sticking to Scripture himself. You can read this exchange for yourself by clicking here.

Today, if you find yourself down and out, or in the midst of some trial or tribulation, I highly suggest you take a timeout and read my book. It will open your eyes to many things that you most likely have never known to look for. $9.99 is a tiny amount to pay in order to discover your path to freedom and joy come what may. My life is not easy, but I laugh everyday. I am not depressed or without hope ever. I fear nothing and that is all due to discovering the truths that are revealed through my life story.

Father, thank you for your word, how encouraged I find I am after reading just a few verses. Man truly does not live by bread alone. You are my substance, you are my stronghold. With you at my side, I fear nothing. I will never be able to thank you enough for answering me when I called out. I pray that you use me in greater ways in the near future. I want others to read my story and find their eyes opened to the battle being waged around them. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wendy, mom of many, girl who walks with God

(c) Wendy Glidden 2018




No comments: