Sunday, October 21, 2018

It's Good for Your Soul . . .

Due to the children, I listen to a lot of K-love during the day. It stays on the radio in the kitchen / dining room area; Baby bum plays in the living room during the day on the tv for the toddlers in the house. However, occasionally I switch the kitchen station over to Moody radio for the great teachings. That is actually where the title of this blog comes from. There is one man, I cannot recall his name, but he has a recorded snippet on a piece of passage and when he gets done discussing his share for the day, he ends by saying, "Read the Bible, it's good for the soul." There is an immense amount of truth in that. I cannot begin to mention all the verses that speak to this truth metaphorically but here are a few of them, not verbatim, but the passage is listed so you can search it out for yourself:

Man cannot live by bread alone. (Matthew 4:4)

Whoever drinks of the water I give, shall never thirst. (John 4:14)

Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it (Psalm 81:10)

I notice the difference in my daily life from when I take time out to feed my soul compared to the days when I don't. It is like being out in the dessert and finally finding a source of water. That is one of many reasons that I go to church on Sunday. We all need to be fed with a dose of truth, faith, hope and love.

So here I am' another week has gone by and its time to take my personal inventory. Those of you following my blog know that I recently gave myself a thirty day challenge involving 3 goals: (1) Get better at my walk with God (2) Blog more regularly ~ no less than three times a week (3) Get myself back into physical shape.

Here is what I charted: sleeping in as long as possible is still a bad habit . . . I am waking up but not getting up in order to read the Bible, just enough to squeeze in K-loves encouraging word (2) When I am not reading and focusing fully on the word of God, my blogging rate slows down. (3) When it comes to the physical fitness part I'm actually happy with my progress. I did my full Taebo workout on 5 of the last 7 days and even on the 2 days that I didn't do the workout video, I was focused on my abs and stopped to do several reps on various exercises that are included in the workout video. This activity of course has begun to spill over into my eating habits and since I am working so hard physically, I am beginning to have the self control to turn down sweets and various treats.

The reason I take a personal inventory at the end of each week is so that I keep myself accountable and on track. I mentioned at the start of my challenge that anything we do consistently for 21 days straight becomes a habit. That being said, anyone can see that I have fallen short of doing any of my 3 for 21 days straight . . . even when it comes to my blog and allowing myself every other day off basically, anyone can check and see that the last time I wrote was back on the 16th of this month. The coolest thing about God's word outside of being nourishment for the soul is the messages inside regarding not being perfect. For instance, He reminds me that his mercies are renewed each day. (Lamentations 3:23, NASB) In honor of Super Silly Sing-Song Saturday, which I had intended to blog upon a song each Saturday, I would like to share this one that reminds me that each day comes with a brand new start and another opportunity to advance in the direction I long to. Matthew West, Day One:


Day One

Well, I wish I had a short term memory
Wish the only thing my eyes could see
Was the future burning bright right in front of me
But I can't stop looking back
Yeah, I wish I was a perfect picture of
Somebody who's never not good enough
I try to measure up but I mess it up
And I wish I wasn't like that
I wish I wasn't wishing anymore
Wish I could remember that nobody's keeping score
I'm tired of throwing pennies in a well
I gotta do something
Here goes nothin'
It's day one of the rest of my life
It's day one of the best of my life
I'm marching on to the beat of a brand new drum
Yeah, here I come
The future has begun
Day one
Well, every single day Your grace reminds me
That my best days are not behind me
Wherever my yesterday may find me
Well, I don't have to stay there
See my hourglass is upside down
My someday soon is here and now
The clock is tickin'
And I'm so sick and tired of missing out
It's day one
And here comes the sun
Every morning, every morning
Every morning, mercy's new
Every morning, every morning
Every morning, I will fix my eyes on You
Every morning, every morning
Every morning, mercy's new
Every morning, every morning
Sun's coming up, the beginning has begun
Starting over, I'm starting over
Starting over, I'm starting over, starting now
I'm starting over
Starting over, I'm starting over
Starting over
Starting over, starting now
I'm starting over
No matter where today ends, tomorrow you get a fresh slate. This is just another aspect of grace, something I have come to be extremely thankful for. So, I feel like I have done great during my first 19 days of my 30 day challenge, with that being said, I also recognize I have fallen severely short of where I longed to be in all three areas.

Since the word proves that there is a restart button, I am going to hit the reset button and count today as day one of my renewed 30 day challenge for myself. . . The reason for this is because I feel like the last three weeks were a prep period, a working out of ideas, a planning period of sorts where one works out the kinks.

I now know what I must do, the question is, am I going to be disciplined enough to do what I need to do when and how I need to do it. Before nights end, I will take an actual measurement to chart my progress where physical fitness is concerned. The blog for the day, I am in the midst of already . . . reading God's word, I have done a little, but starting tomorrow it is back to the old adage, early to rise in order to bask in God's word.

To all who pray, please lift me up in prayer. I long to be a servant of the LORD. One who does His will and His will alone.

Father, I recall the days where you and I laughed and chatted for hours, oh the plans I had . . . its funny how my ideas have changed through my own travels. . . all the things you have taught me in regard to my dreams. Thank you for removing obstacles out of my way, thank you for giving me my hearts desires. You are the King of dreams and you have certainly brought my dreams into reality. I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to honor you through my writing. I am honored and humbled for all the ways in which you have taught me and prepared me for my destiny. You are amazing Father and I just want to say thank you for all you have done for me. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wendy, mom of many, girl who walks with God.

(c) Wendy Glidden 2018


No comments: