Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Ministry Experiment 101

 Many of you know my dream has to been to help the lost find their way back to firm footing in the LORD. I've actually been praying for it, this ministry of mine. Recently the opportunity came to help a homeless couple out with a little bit of  shelter, some great food, conversation, goal setting and Bible study. My little first experiment at the type of ministry I want to run lasted a mere 4 days and 5 nights. 

God made me see her how he saw her and I know I was a life line for her. As she walked down the driveway this morning under his insistence that since he was out, so was she, I told her my offer for a one-way ticket back home would always be available. 

When I first saw her, she looked like a ghost. Ironically, I learned her email name includes the name "ghostgirl" along with some numbers that I am sure mean something to her. When I invited them to spend the night as it was already getting dark when they asked for a ride to Fort Myers, her only question to my offer was could she take a shower. She was nothing but a bag of bones, teeth missing and looking so ragged. I knew she was an addict of something and I knew the same was true of him. God didn't move me where he was concerned and I kind of get why. My soft spot is definitely for the female species and children.

He did not give me a ton of time alone with her, but she was part of my homeschool Bible study for a few days and in those few days, we spoke of faith, my own walk, I gifted her my book in digital format and instructed her to read the first 4 chapters yesterday, write down any questions she had and that we would sit for an hour to go over them as well as to work on her goal chart today. That step of course never took place. I have a hunch his assignment along with the promise that they would both come to the Friday night meeting for those struggling with addiction at my church was the driving element that brought about their leaving today.  His homework involved finding 7 references to his role as husband and father per God's word. This person knew the Bible, like he really knew his way around the word. The biggest thing I learned in this experiment was that being saved and being open to the sanctification process are indeed two very different things. To say it perplexed me to have him know so much of God's word and yet be so far out of step would be an understatement. 

It just goes to prove that knowledge and wisdom are two completely different forms of "smarts". Often when I meet people, I begin to take an inventory of who they remind me of from the Bible, I find the world is full of men who very much fall into what I call the "Sampson" category; someone with many talents who is not living up to his full purpose. The man in this situation is one who is truly shackled by the Father of Lies, completely missing out on who God created him to be. If he would just get right, he could be very influential in the army of Christ. He is a Christian rapper. I listened to a couple of soundtracks of his and they are good. I was hoping I could go through my history and share a link to his stuff, but alas I can't find any of it. 

Mike said next time we can give someone a ride but we are not bringing them home ever again . . . in looking for a picture to include, I found this one of a couple and couldn't help but notice their sign. May this couple one day at least be able to write something like this truthfully themselves.

I know I planted a seed in both of them and that will have to be enough for now. Until God blesses me with more than my own place, this will be my one and only experiment like this out of our home. I still have big plans and pray that God will provide all I need to launch it soon for the need out there is great. 

Father, please watch over her, protect her and encourage her to go back home. She has a son who needs her and I just pray that her love for him and her desire to see him again overtake the urge for one more dose of whatever holds her in bondage. Please let her be healed. Remove the addiction, remind her of who she is in you, let my story bless her and set her free from her abuser. May her eyes be opened to the trap she has fallen in and help her fly free of it Father. In Jesus name I pray. I also petition for your words to be absorbed into his heart. Keep him from striking her in any form, physical or emotional. Help him to gain wisdom and not just use his knowledge for gain. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Wendy, Mom of Many


No comments: